Friday, October 14, 2005

Natural Beauty

The other day I was feeling very tired and very frustrated. I decided that the best thing for me to do to cool-off would be to go on a walk around the neighborhood. I did a pretty good share of thinking. I didn't have any amazing revelations or anything. I didn't come to any spectacular solutions to my problems. Near the end of my walk, on my way back to my house, I walked past this huge maple tree. There was a branch that was hanging over the sidewalk a little. I did whatever any other sensible teenager would have done- I reached up and pulled off some leaves without making a pause in the rythmn of my feet. I planned on tearing up the leaves and throwing them into the streets. Right before I tore them to shreds, I looked down and saw the most beautiful leaves that I have ever seen. They weren't just green. They weren't just brown. They weren't just any color. They were a variety of colors all sloshed together by the wonder of Mother Nature. Amazing. I don't even know how to actually decribe it. But believe me when I say that these leaves were nothing short of a miracle. Looking at them sort of made me think of life. We all go through different obstacles. Life is an adventure, with so many variations. I want to be able to say that I conquered everything that was put in my way. I want to do it gracefully and with a smile. Then, when I am old, people will be able to see it through the worry lines and smile wrinkles in my face. Life is a beautiful gift, even during the trials.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock on! That is so true! And I agree- I want to be the one who can say: I went through it, I survived it, and I'm stronger from it. Thanks for sharing your wonderful insights on life.
-H.bear
ps: Happy B-day today (Saturday)!!!

Anonymous said...

dont you just love walks? i sure do! they really do give us time to contemplate our lives. i just wish i could take long walks more often.

Anonymous said...

Ya, I guess that's why I hate walks, I have a lot of things to think about and most of them things I didn't survive, or conqor.
In fact, it must be nice to not regret anything, making walking much more enjoyable.