Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Walking Wonders

Since I started work at job number two, I have discovered something that I never knew existed. Maybe you have heard of them. It was news to me.
They're called Mall-walkers.
Basically all they are just people that come to the mall before the stores are open. Some of you may wonder 'What the heck is the point of that?'. Well, I'll tell you....I don't know.
Mostly it's old people. There are a few young snuck in there too. All they do is walk around. Walk. That's it.
I just don't understand it. I mean, it's good be walking and be getting your exercise. But the mall? Why not at the fitness center? Why not around the block? Why not around the old folks home? Why not anywhere but the mall?
Maybe it's because all of those old people seem to know each other. It's as much a social thing as it is a physical thing.
This morning while I was at work, I was working on the window displays. We have our new regional manager coming into town, so we want everything to look awesome. Anyway, as I was cleaning up, I was watching the people walk by. I don't even know how to decribe it. They are wierd. End of story.
I think that more research should be done on these strange creatures. The research MUST be conducted by professionals, though. I would do it myself, but.....you never know. If anyone knows anything about Mall-walkers, please let me know. I would like to try and understand at least a little part of what makes them tick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey what could be better than roaming an empty mall? It's warm in the winter, it's safe from bad guys who might jump ya and you get to look at all the new merchandise! What a good life I would have if I had time to wander aimlessly in a mall!

Anonymous said...

Or perhaps the oldies like to check out the new trends of the youth of the world. Maybe they go there trying to grasp what they have long lost: Style.

Old people get bored. Can you imagine being an old fart? You would have nothing better to do. I know so many critical folks who would just love to spend the morning rudely analyzing the people they see. It is like a hobby for them to negatively judge everyone they see. Where else can you see a huge variety of people other than a mall?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it is kinda weird, but I'm related to one. My grandma walks at the mall because, like Gc said, it's warm, dry, safe, and free.
Well, whatever floats people's boats. :P -H.bear